The Healthy Active Native Communities (HANC) Project overall goal is to improve nutrition and physical activity and reduce obesity rates in American Indian and Alaska Native (AI/AN) communities.
AAIP has identified three primary objectives:
- To increase knowledge of evidence-based, CDC-recommended obesity prevention strategies among AI/AN communities;
- To facilitate the development and implementation of sustainable nutrition, physical activity, and obesity prevention efforts that have lasting effects in the reduction of obesity;
- To promote and disseminate AI/AN obesity prevention efforts and share results, lessons learned, and cultural adaptation strategies with AI/AN communities and stakeholders nationwide.
- Mini-Awardees Projects – Through a competitive process nine Tribal Health Departments were selected to receive a $5,000 mini award to culturally adapt and implement a CDC Winnable Battles Obesity Prevention strategy.
HANC On-Line Resource Guide – A website of resources and peer sharing and learning to assist Native communities in preventing obesity. Share your success today! (add link to form) (add screen shot)
HANC Promising Practices Brief – Soon to come is a brief highlighting effective strategies, cultural adaptations, and outcomes of our funded partners as wells as challenges and lessons learned along the way.
Peer Reviewed Journals – A literature review was conducted to learn effectiveness of recommended strategies in AI/AN communities. Visit our website to learn more about the research.
National Dissemination Plan – HANC attends national conferences to promote and share the great work in Indian Country to prevent obesity. We would love to be a part of your conference. Contact us today!
- White Mountain Apache Farmers Market (IHS Community Nutrition - Whiteriver, AZ)
- Expanding Community Wellness Garden and Recreation Complex (Indian Child and Family Preservation Program – Santa Rosa, CA)
- Achievers in Health and Fitness (Acoma, NM)
- Fun and Fit Kids Center (Oklahoma City Indian Clinic – OKC, OK)
- Aquavik Center (Iguigig Village Tribal Council - Iguigig, AK)
- Ho-Chunk Pallet Garden Project (Ho-Chunk Nutrition - Black River Falls, WI)
- Community Garden Project (Sacramento Native American Health Center - Sacramento, CA)
- Worksite Wellness Project (Absentee Shawnee Health Department –Little Axe, OK)